Using Siri to Create Captioned Audiobooks


Today, as I re-read my ebook version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I wondered if there was a trick that would enable me to read books and have someone read them aloud to me.


Years ago, I attempted aural rehabilitation when I got my new cochlear implant (CI) by *trying* to follow along with the official audiobook with the hardcover book in hands. Problem? I kept getting lost, and there was no surefire trick of hitting "rewind" on the tape or jumping back on the CD without getting even more lost. So that prospect was abandoned.

Years later, I turn to Google and discovered a neat trick that would let Siri read from iBooks AND highlight the word being said. Thus, this crude form of captioning let me hear and see each word being said. Sure, it's not a perfect solution as only small portions of text can be read aloud at a time, but those paragraph-chunks are very manageable and effective for someone wanting to work on their listening skills. 

This works on Apple devices with the iBooks app - I'm using my iPad for this challenge. 

This post on the "Unofficial Apple Weblog" shares instructions on how to turn Siri into a reading machine, with video accompaniment. (Tip: You can change the speaker's voice pace from a rabbit to a turtle, and switch between dialects. I have Siri set on to read in a British English dialect to go with the theme). Link: http://www.tuaw.com/2013/03/18/siri-trick-turns-ibooks-into-audiobooks/

Has anyone found another solution that might work as well as this temporary fix? Please do share your suggestions, tips, and tricks! 

Comments

Popular Posts